Click Here for Video Lesson 4
Internet access to YouTube
Computer with projector (for students to view YouTube videos)
Speakers (for students to hear the YouTube videos)
– Watch the video lesson linked above. During the video, students will participate in speaking and singing activities for a given excerpt of the Star-Spangled Banner.
– This video features the National Museum of American History and the SSB flag.
– By the end of the lesson series, students will have rehearsed and performed the entire first verse of the Star-Spangled Banner.
– Applicable online resources and activities are provided at the end of this page to supplement the video lesson (optional).
Standards – National Association for Music Education
PreK – Eighth Grade
MU: Pr6. 1.– a – Perform with expression…
MU: Pr6. 1.– b – Perform appropriately for the audience…
MU: Cn11. 0.– a – Demonstrate understanding of relationships between music and the other arts…
Ninth Grade – Twelfth Grade
MU: Pr6. 1. E. 5a – demonstrate attention to technical accuracy and expressive qualities in prepared and improvised performances…
MU: Pr6. 1. E. 5b – Demonstrate an awareness of the context of the music…
Visit the National Museum of American History’s website for the Star-Spangled Banner Exhibit
– Interactive flag page (mentioned in video lesson)
– History of the War of 1812, the flag, and the national anthem
– “Collect the Stars” activity to quiz students on their knowledge
– Standards-based lesson plans
NMAH Smithsonian Youtube Channel
– Fun, educational videos on a huge range of topics
– Videos featuring behind-the-scenes footage of conservation practices and what it takes to maintain a museum