Click Here for Video Lesson 1
Internet access to YouTube
Computer with projector (for students to view YouTube videos)
Speakers (for students to hear the YouTube videos)
– Watch the video lesson linked above. During the video, students will participate in speaking and singing activities for a given excerpt of the Star-Spangled Banner.
– This video also features information on the Maryland Historical Society and SSB primary sources
– By the end of the lesson series, students will have rehearsed and performed the entire first verse of the Star-Spangled Banner.
– Applicable online resources and activities are provided at the end of this page to supplement the video lesson (optional).
Standards – National Association for Music Education
PreK – Eighth Grade
MU: Pr6. 1.– a – Perform with expression…
MU: Pr6. 1.– b – Perform appropriately for the audience…
MU: Cn11. 0.– a – Demonstrate understanding of relationships between music and the other arts…
Ninth Grade – Twelfth Grade
MU: Pr6. 1. E. 5a – demonstrate attention to technical accuracy and expressive qualities in prepared and improvised performances…
MU: Pr6. 1. E. 5b – Demonstrate an awareness of the context of the music…
Visit the Maryland Historical Society’s website
– View digitalized primary sources
– Worksheets and other classroom resources from the website
– Standards-based lesson plans and online resources