JOIN US TO CELEBRATE A BANNER BIRTHDAY!
The Star Spangled Music Foundation (SSMF) is pleased to announce a national Star-Spangled Music Day #3 for Wednesday, September 14, 2016 in celebration of the 202nd anniversary of the United States National Anthem — “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
For this day we ask that Americans far-and-wide and especially K-12 students throughout the United States sing patriotic songs—including “The Star-Spangled Banner”—and discuss the history and significance of the anthem. Performances may be videotaped and posted to YouTube, Twitter, and other social media outlets using the hashtag #AnthemBDay.
The SSMF provides free K–16 instructional materials as linked to our For Educators page. We also encourage teachers, schools, and educational organizations to join our Star Spangled Teachers and Star Spangled Schools Networks to keep current with upcoming announcements and the release of additional materials.
Ideas to celebrate the National Day of Patriotic Song include:
- Have a campus-wide singing of “The Star-Spangled Banner” and post it to YouTube using the hashtag #AnthemBDay and post it to our Facebook page. If you send us the video, we can post it for you. Email email@example.com for help.
- Perform the SSMF’s Star Spangled Halftime Spectacular marching band charts during your high school football game that evening. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for link.
- Add a historical arrangement of the U.S. National Anthem to a concert or recital for a school-wide assembly using our free musical scores.
- Work with local government or other organizations to celebrate the bicentennial of “The Star-Spangled Banner” in whatever way is best for your local community.
- Play the SSMF’s recording of the original version of the U.S. national anthem over your school’s PA to start the day and tell your fellow staff and students about the anthem’s anniversary. Click here for a script that you could adapt for the announcement. You can get our recording on Youtube or in our Poets & Patriots CD release.
- Add your own idea and initiative here! Share them with us via Facebook or Twitter.
- Right-click to download this web-ready logo or click here for a printable version.
Thanks for joining the SSMF and our other partners in celebrating the 202nd birthday of “The Star-Spangled Banner”!